20.5.11

Now what?

My aunt called and specified that the reason she was calling was because it was exactly two weeks since my father's passing. She sounded upset and drunk. It was 6:30 on a Sunday morning and I was working on less than 5 hours sleep when she called. She told me that she spent a lot of time with him over his final week and that he had a lot of things that he wanted to pass along to us. Stuff that he wanted us to know. Stuff that he couldn't tell me himself over the last 25 years I guess. Who knows. I never did stay on the phone long enough to find out. Instead I told her that I would call her back another time. My strategy is to call her when it is her morning so she is not drunk enough to slur her words or tell me lies. Lies will happen either way though. She told me I could ask her anything. I said "anything?" and followed it up with "Ive had 25 years to come up with some pretty tough questions..." And then she started crying saying "Oh please don't" and couldn't talk much after that and had to go. I keep struggling with to what level I should take this. There are obviously a few issues here and the main one is my non-realtionship with my father and why that went on for so long. I look to my aunt as a huge part the reason why. She took him from us, she screwed it up for everyone and blew this family up. Of all the men in the world, why him? Why did he choose her? Things could have been so much different if he had just manned up and stayed in the country. He wanted to be home though. He wanted to live back in his country. He claimed it was because of his family but everyone knows that he never talked to any of his bro's on the regular. They never heard from him much until one of the brothers died last June. He took that pretty hard and it was all downhill from there. They both died from heart problems. So did their dad. So will I. It's just a matter of when, not if. So what do I do until then? Love my family and enjoy each day.

2 comments:

PokahDave said...

The whole thing is an unbelievable situation.....or unreal. You gave yourself some great advice at the end though. Good luck with that other phone call.

Josie said...

I wonder if booze was as big a factor as anything else in the reason your dad kept away. Thinking of you during this hard time.