I've played a ton of hands since I last posted with some decent success. I appreciate your feed back so far.
Here is a hand in which I think I played extremely poorly, but it still worked out... any thoughts? I had been at the table for about 25-30 hands now and haven't entered a pot much at all. How can't I get credit for a big hand...
Seat 1: Lola ($27.50 in chips)
Seat 2: vpams ($25.20 in chips)
Seat 4: armada07 ($2.95 in chips)
Seat 5: bwokkie ($4.75 in chips)
Seat 6: WhiterNole ($29.50 in chips)
bwokkie: posts small blind $0.10
WhiterNole: posts big blind $0.25
Lola: posts small & big blinds $0.35
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Lola [Qh Qd]
Lola: checks
vpams: raises $0.75 to $1 (EP raisers
armada07: folds
bwokkie: folds
WhiterNole: folds
danny334 joins the table at seat #3
Lola: raises $1.50 to $2.50
vpams: calls $1.50
*** FLOP *** [7c 2d 5d]
Lola: checks <---- OK, so here I check, the the intention of check raising...
vpams: checks <---- No dice.
*** TURN *** [7c 2d 5d] [6d]
Lola: bets $4.50
vpams: raises $5.50 to $10
Lola: raises $14.90 to $24.90 and is all-in
vpams: calls $12.70 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [7c 2d 5d 6d] [Jh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Lola: shows [Qh Qd] (a pair of Queens)
vpams: mucks hand
Lola collected $48.85 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $50.85 Rake $2
Board [7c 2d 5d 6d Jh]
Seat 1: Lola showed [Qh Qd] and won ($48.85) with a pair of Queens
Seat 2: vpams mucked [3h 3c]
Seat 4: armada07 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: bwokkie (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: WhiterNole (big blind) folded before Flop
So other than my busted up check raise, I think getting all the money in on the turn as planned anyway still worked out nicely...
After that I just kept it simple and cashed out up almost two BI's. Still learning. My roll now sits at just under a hundy. Weeeeeeee.
----
I played my first round of 2008 on Sunday. I didn't play that well as I was nursing a massive hang over. I played ok. 5 doubles, 2 birdies, 3 bogey's for a round of 81 (par 70).
My first golf goal is for that to be my worst round of the year. I hate shooting in the 80's... although since it was my first round of the year (and my first round in 3 months - see fairweather golfer) I guess I won't be too hard on myself.
----
Congrats to LJ for taking down $12K in a live tourney in AC. Total awesomeness.
22.1.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I'm a crappy NLHE cash game player, so take that into account.
Since you has to post both a small and big blind, I assume you'd been sitting out? Pre-flop, maybe he thinks you're just trying to steal the blinds and get out of there, or he puts you on Ace-big. When you check the flop, you solidify Ace-big in his head, and when the turn brings another rag, he thinks he has the best the hand.
Not saying I'd do the same thing as your opponent, but I can understand the thinking and I've set up the same play to run traps just like you sprung on the turn. It's more likely Ace-big than an overpair, given the way you played it. In other words, you played it perfectly well, IMO.
Played it perfectly? I hope the dude was kidding. You ready? Here are some thoughts.
What do you do if you had AK here? Would you still check the flop with the intent to checkraise?
How often do you cbet when you don't hit?
What would you do if the board came A-5-7? Would you check or would you bet?
Why do I ask these questions. Personally, I hate the way you played this hand. Maybe at this level, it won't matter. But I want to make sure that I act exactly the same when I have a big hand and when I don't have shit. I cbet about 60-70% of the time so when if hit top set or top two, I still cbet 60-70% of the time. I cbet almost the exact same amount. I do this so that on occasions when I don't hit the flop with a big ace, I can still take the pot down with a cbet. If my cbets are contested, I still do the same so when I have a big hand and someone plays back at me, that's how most of my money goes in the pot.
Also, you were lucky to have the Qd. What if you had QhQc instead of the d? does the third diamond scare you? I'm just not a big fan of checking. Plus, what do you exactly accomplish when you checkraise this flop. I mean let's say the guy bets, you checkraise, indicating a monster (unless you do that as a bluff often also) and he folds. You only get a little bit. To me, it's just not an ideal way to attack. Since the board is coordinated, maybe it's a good way to try to end the hand on the flop with a checkraise but again, these are all things you should consider.
vpams is an idiot for calling you on the turn. His raise, ok, passable. When you put in the third raise, is he still thinking you have Ace-big? No, you know what he's thinking? He's thinking "heeeeee haaaaw." Donkeys galore at 6 max. I freakin love it. Keep up the good work man. But don't get too fancy or too cute. Play a fairly straightforward TAG poker at these levels. Otherwise, you'll find yourself outplaying yourself.
Oh and one more thing. I am NOT a crappy cash game player. :)
First off: "Oh and one more thing. I am NOT a crappy cash game player. :)" made me laugh my ass off. Not that I disagree, still funny though.
And what freakin' temperature is it there? Playing golf already? It has been like 30 max degrees here. Bone chilling wind chill factors don't help. I don't know how you are holding those irons in these temperatures.
Crazy gophers...
Nice hand. I'm in favor of making your 3-bet about $3 instead of $2.50. I feel like you have to bet it out when it's heads-up and also to protect your hand vs. the inadvertent flush draw.
Who gets there money all-in on the turn, w/ that board? Nice hand.
Its too cold to play golf where I'm. Cant wait for a warm day!
Thanks for all the comments so far.
Golf - I'll play in any weather, as long as its not raining... if it's raining then it better be for some cash or a tournament of some kind. It was nice and Sunny and while the wind was blustery and annoying at times, the Sun made up for it. Did I mention I saw over 15 deer just walking around minding their own business? Words could not describe the peacefulness. This was not at my home course though, we only get the rare Bald Eagle and flying ninja squirel... ok just Eagles.
Poker - This was a weird one because, as BigSlickNuts pointed out, I had to post the SB & the BB. I had sat out a few hands as I was also BBQing some Chicken boobs. So when I joined back in and posted (I always just post rather than wait) I saw QQ and check my option immediately to avoid any suspicion...
I agree with Kuro that a re-pop of around 3x would have been better for sure.
Alan - you ask some great questions but all of them are those "what if" types and my answers would mostly start or end with "it depends."
Excellent input as always Alan, it makes me think a lot, and that is what you are here for.
This level is full of idiots so I can get away with making mistakes and still get paid!
Also laughed at the "I am NOT a poor cash game player" comment by Alan. ROFL!
Its simply too expensive .... why cant the common man afford that game?
Post a Comment