23.4.07

JC Satellite via Fuel55, WPBT #4 runner up

Great weekend overall. However, the Canucks not winning game 6 on Saturday still stings. Consequently, leaving a big black cloud hanging over what was otherwise a fantastic 2 days off. I usually try to get as many "activities" in as I can on Saturday and Sunday, and this weekend was full of them. Let's just say tomorrow night's game 7 is about as big as it gets right now... so I don't like my chances of showing up for the MATH tomorrow.

I headed down to the FCPC on Friday night as Fuel55 had invited me out to participate in a private satellite ($55) for the upcoming Johnny Chan Poker Classic being held during the first week of May. There were 19 players, 1st earned a ticket ($550 value) and the next 3 players chopped up the remaining money (silly me, I proposed the chop... and managed to come out ahead). I finished a dissapointing 4th place, but did manage to make it to the money and overall I had a really great time. They had a great tournament structure, and it allowed for a lot of poker to be played (and suckouts of course). Simon, the organizer, and a few other strong and accomplished players tested my game continuously. It was a good time, and I am glad I had chance to meet up with JV. He also made it to the final table, but wasn't as lucky. He got donkey called by the eventual winner who was in the SB. Fuel was on my left and it folded around to him in late position, he raised it 3x and the SB called with 56o!! Fuel hits his K and bets, gets called by the small blind. The turn is another 5 and the rest is history. Fuel was so choked he wasn't there for more than 5 more minutes and then quite possibly headed for the River Rock to let off a little steam. Thanks again for the invite Fuel.

Played golf both Saturday and Sunday. Bleah. I need practice. Lots of practice. I have a tourney next weekend (The "Rattlesnake Open"), which is why I won't be able to play in the blogger bracelet race on the 29th. Make sure you register if you can make it, and good luck!

I played in my second ever Token Frenzy on Sunday and won my second consecutive token. I'll be saving it for the Big Game, unless something else comes along before hand. As I've said before, these token frenzy tourney's are SOFT.

While I was playing in the token tourney, I was also playing in WPBT event #4 - limit holdem'. When it comes to poker, limit poker is the first game that I learned about 5 years ago. The casino, online and with buddies, I always seemed to play limit. When NL exploded, I couldn't resist and honestly over the last 2-3 years, I haven't played it more than a handful of times (not including horse). I started off very poorly, not remembering the differences right away. It took me a few orbits to feel comfortable at my table, and I really just focused and watched the other players. At first I just wanted to get some points. Then when I made it to the final table, I realized that I actually had a chance. When we got past the bubble, I was elated. Not only was I going to cash in my second consecutive WPBT event (I missed event #3 - razz), I was going to earn some good points for the overall race. Things went well for me and I found this hand shortly after the bubble burst:

Full Tilt Poker Game #2268639679: WPBT 07 event #4 (16100008), Table 1 - 600/1200 - Limit Hold'em - 23:27:24 ET - 2007/04/22
Seat 1: Schaubs (11,660)
Seat 7: maigrey (15,120)
Seat 8: change100 (4,720)
maigrey posts the small blind of 300
change100 posts the big blind of 600
The button is in seat #1*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Schaubs [Ac Qc]
Schaubs raises to 1,200 (I should raise right?)
maigrey folds
change100 calls 600
*** FLOP *** [5c 9h 6d]
change100 checks (ok she checks top pair)
Schaubs bets 600
change100 raises to 1,200 (yikes check raise!, if we were on the bubble, I'd be folding)
Schaubs calls 600 (ok I agree, questionable call, but I am in the money and going for first here, so I am willing to gamble a bit more at this point)
*** TURN *** [5c 9h 6d] [Tc] (I now have a flush draw)
change100 bets 1,200
Schaubs calls 1,200 (let's gamble some more, can't look back now)
*** RIVER *** [5c 9h 6d Tc] [Jc]
change100 bets 1,120, and is all in
Schaubs calls 1,120
*** SHOW DOWN ***
change100 shows [Td 9s] (two pair, Tens and Nines)
Schaubs shows [Ac Qc] (a flush, Ace high)
Schaubs wins the pot (9,740) with a flush, Ace high
change100 stands up

Change100 was pretty choked at me and I agree I did suckout, but like I said, once I was in the money I was in gamble mode, and it paid off. Dr.Pauly was there to cheer her on, and she played very very well. GG, I just had some timely luck there, and you are right, I really didn't give you credit for a hand there.
Maigrey ended up kicking my ass when we got to heads up. I was totally dominated and eventually relinquished my chip lead and a few hands later it was over.


Have a good week everyone. Mine's only 3 days long! Lot's to do though.

2 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

IMHO she got cute and got busted by a little bad luck. She probably should have just out right pushed the flop.

I even see you calling if she pushes the flop just because of the relative stack sizes. She was in great position to double up and you just beat her.

Anonymous said...

thanks for pimping the club. something Fuel does far too infrequently