Not for me damn it! For some reason I decided to jump in the car and make the trek to work anyway only because I knew how much work I had to get done today. It snowed about 8 inches over night here and there are only 4 people in the office as of now. I should have stopped and thought about that a bit more because I could have easily jumped on the pussy train and called in and worked from home. Right now I'm saying to myself "what was I thinking?!"
I could have been playing poker or better yet, Mario galaxy! I'm yet to even turn that game on, although I have browsed through instruction manual (ok the first two pages so far) to get a feel for the game. I can't wait to play it!
Over the weekend I gave myself 3 shots at qualifying for FTOPS event #8 (the lowest buyin ='s the most donks) and let's just say I don't have a screen shot showing me finishing in the top 2 of one of those $6 knockout qualifiers. The closest I came was 10th when my AA got cracked by KK in a SB vs. BB special. Such crap. I limp, he raises, I re-raise, he re-re-raises and I push. He rivers a straight of course. Alan was there on the rail and had to comment when he saw that beat. Gross is right. The funny thing is, I had one of those "feelings" where I just said to myself "uh oh, here we go" as soon as the cards were flipped.
As far as 6 max goes, this was a pretty good weekend for me. I won a couple of BI's so I am now floating in the 150 zone. The money is great, but the fact that I am starting to feel more confident and my game is starting to get better is the best part about it. I think once I hit $200 I will give $0.25/0.50 a shot, but not any sooner than that. I know it's still pretty short bank roll wise but I can't wait any longer! The skill level is going to be the same, however I'll just have to keep an eye out for the better players and focus on the weak ones.
I do have some noticeable leaks though. I mean when you are hitting the call button and you already know you are beat, that's a major problem right there. Like Jordan has said many times... when you know you are beat... FOLD.
Live and learn, I'll get there.
Anyway, no HH's today. I presume those were getting a bit boring for some of you. I know I can only take so many HH's when I visit your blogs day in and day out. It is nice to have some variety on the blog. Not just the same old boring dribble.
So moving foward I'll try to mix it up a little while keeping the updates going.
----
Let me just talk golf for a second. Does anyone realize what they are witnessing these days with Tiger? I hope that some of your are, and that you are taking the time to soak it in. He just tied Arnold Palmer for 62 career PGA tour wins... yes that's right 62 in 13 years. That is so fucking ridiculous... I hope that each and every one of you takes the time this year to witness this man as he HITS his prime. Note that he is just approaching his prime, he is not there yet. He is just getting better and better. Most PGA tour pros do not even make their mark until there are in there early to mid 30's, Tiger is 32 and has 62 wins. Think about that for a second.
There have already been predictions that this year will be his greatest year of his career to date... (better than 2000) Nick Faldo went as far as to predict that he will win the single season Grand Slam of golf (winning all four majors in the same calendar year). He already has the "Tiger Slam" where he won all four in a row over the course of two years... but this year could be THE year. Heck, every January for the next 10 years we could be talking about that very same humanly impossible accomplishment (for anyone other than Tiger).
He is on a completely other level. Period. No one can touch him, catch him or even sniff what he will accomplish when it is all said and done. Breaking the all time wins record will be a breeze and he will easily be in the 3 digits for wins by the time he retires. Breaking the all time Majors record is completely within reach as well... in fact I'm setting the over under at 25 right now. Any takers? All of the records will be shattered by the time he decides to retire and not play on the Senior Tour... although this is Tiger we are talking about so it wouldn't surpirse me one bit if he played in it "just for fun."
It just goes to show you that there are no limits to how physically and mentally dominating you can be at something (anything) if you really put your heart, mind and soul into it.
----
I didn't play any live poker this weekend, I just didn't feel like slugging it out when I could be sitting in my living room playing online instead...
Ok that's it for today... time to go and make some snowballs! errrr, I mean work...
29.1.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I will take the over.
You'll have to check out my post yesterday regarding an economist who researched the Tiger effect on other players. She found that when Tiger is in the hunt, Exempt players average a stroke a round more than when he is not in a tourney or when he's been in a slump.
I go under 25. Dominating though he is.
I wonder if Vegas will start offering odds...
The thing is, even if we did make a bet, we'd have to wait 5-20 years before this is over and done with.
So far I am breaking even on this action...
Schaubs, you know I'm a golfer. An old guy that used to be a near scratch golfer and has to put up with a crappy 9 HCP due to lack of play now... BUT !
"there are no limits to how physically and mentally dominating you can be at something (anything) if you really put your heart, mind and soul into it."
Is a little bit miss-leading NO?
Tiger is that Russian boxer in that one Rocky movie. Think about that and let it sink in.
I love the man's golf game. His swing when he hates it, is damn near "Iron Byron."
But figure out how to bring back Payne, and golf would be a much better game today.
No diss-respect for Tiger's accomplishments at all. It's an absoloute miracle. But in Tiger's case, it's a machine bread for the sport. With Jack and Arnold, it was pure natural ability alone that did what they did.
Not the ball, not the clubs and certainly NOT the training.
Tiger is doing it, no question. And a lot of people are getting rich because of it. But give me some character, colour and fan appreciation ala' Payne Stewart over the domination anyday.
IMHO
Bam Bam, you know I enjoy your comments and humble opinions very much.
However, I think you are missing how GOOD Tiger really is. This is not stuff you can make up with a movie script. He is not Drago. He does not run on a treadmill like Drago, he is not a machine.
Firstly, over the past 10 years they have had to "Tiger Proof" golf courses. Equipment improvements are surely the biggest factor for this need. But if you are going to compare him to the Legends, then you need to account for the fact that he is playing courses and conditions that are equally as hard, if not harder.
I agree his swing is machine like, but this is only because he practices more than any of the Legends ever did. Every single detail is taken into account now, and even reviewed with video the following week as they do in the NFL and all other major sports.
But you know what? Almost every single PGA Tour Professional can hit the ball just as well as Tiger can. They can hit it as pure and as consistent as can be... on the driving range! Put them in a pressure packed situation and this is where the big difference lies.
Do you not think that Tiger has this pure natural ability that you speak of with regards to Jack or Arnie?
The biggest factor in Tiger winning and winning big is simply - his short game. There is no Iron Byron to compare it to. His feel around the greens completely amazes me sometimes. It is as pure as it comes. He is the best putter in the world right now hands down too. He pulls off flop and chip shots that no one could even imagine of immitating. Add the pressure of a Major and he continues to deliver. Heck, look at his driving accuracy and G.I.R. (greens in regualtion) stats and that will give you an indication of how well he can execute shots that no one else can. He has a special talent for getting out of trouble... it is uncanny.
I don't think my statement is misleading at all. He dominates, period. This is not only because of his physically ability, but his mental toughness to actually EXCECUTE the necessary shot when the pressure is at an all time high.
Having said all that, I truly do miss Payne Stewart. He was by far my favorite golfer prior to his tragic plane crash. I was in total shock and very saddened by that news most definitely.
I have no problem watching the World's Greatest dominate week in and week out. Come catch him if you can!
Thanks again for the comments, it really got me thinking there for a while and it might even spur another post in the future because of it. (actually I guess this could have been a post on its own!)
Golf has progressed so rapidly over the past 10 years, and the sport owes it all to Tiger.
OK..... Battle of the posts it is then. Better bring your EH-Game !
Re-read what you wrote. Re-re-read it... slowly and carefully.
Look for any human quality.
.
.
.
.
It's OK, I'll wait.
.
.
.
I truly admire the man's skill. I'd give almost anything to have it. Golf means that much to me. But I'd damn well save my Humanity and self worth, before I'd make the deal he did.
Consider his youth. REALLY consider it.
I have no doubt in my mind right now, that you are "the" Tiger fan that I can have a civil conversation with about him. I just get that "feel." I am impressed by that, by the way.
Not Drago huh?
"He (Elwood) spent 18% more time hitting balls than he did in school from the age of 4 to 16."
and another jem...
"He's facinated by the game, addicted even. Friends will come when he's rich, and they want something."
These snipits are deeply hidden in "Papa Woods" little history on Tiger. The media damn well won't bring them out. Unless of course the "magic" wears off. Do you honestly believe, in your heart of hearts, knowing what you do about his father, that this was Tiger's choice?
I'll put up a Payne post just for you. (Title to be.. Just for Schaubs, NO POKER TODAY)
Hit me with your best Elwood. I'll take my chances with humanity anyday.
I will be writing tonight. I hope to get it up very soon. Passion, not talent... Heart can do truly wonderous things.
No matter what... I look forward to our discussions more and more now.
There you go Sir ! My post is up.
Good reading. I think you'll enjoy it. Agree with it? Who knows?
It's an old man's perspective.
Tiger is the greatest althlete, there is in the world.
I cant wait to see his score for the US Open, which is at Torrey Pines this year.
I'm saving/planning on going to the US Open when it rolls into town in 2013 at Merion Golf Club in Pa.
Post a Comment