13.7.10

Bloggers are boring

Seriously. No one has anything to write about anymore? I am getting tired of going to google reader only to find the very few consistent bloggers out there putting up posts on a daily basis. I don't get it, but I am sure there is a different excuse for almost everyone. I've got to say it is a bit unmotivating to write anything worthwhile in the space when it doesn't seem like anyone is really reading here anyway. The stats don't lie, unless statcounter doesn't count those who follow using google reader? Is that possible? Anyway, whatever your excuse is it really doesn't matter what I think. Everyone is entitled to do whatever they want and write as frequently or infrequently as they want, right? Who am I to judge.

Top 5 blogs that I follow that write something daily:

Tao of Poker (obviously #1)
Kid Dynamite's World (not always poker, but a great read)
Poker Grump (lots of good variety)
Pokerati (the straight goods)
Hard Boiled Poker (the goods straight)

Wicked Chops Poker also gets a mention here, but the link is blocked by the man. I also think their might be a team of writers on WCP so I am not sure they qualify under this context.

When I look back at this list I realize "wow these guys are on a whole other level compared to your typical blogger that I know." In fact, there is only one dude on this list that I can really actually call my friend (defined in the Schaubs blogger world as "met or chatted with more than once"). Ok, there are some exceptions. Yes, you. No not you, that person there beside you silly. Him. No, not him, the other guy. Oh and her, sure why not. Ok ok, and you too.

I don't think it is fair to compare these 5 (6) ass kicking poker writers to your standard blogger type who gives weekly updates or a non-poker related snippet into their real life. I am not saying one is better than the other because each serve a different purpose. Most of those guys are pros. They write to make money, or to at least work on their craft. Their passion that is writing. me? I have no passion for writing. I have a passion for free rolls. That is why this all started remember! I've got to say though, I miss reading the other stuff. The good stuff. The stuff that you probably say to yourself "man, that's not blog worthy." I like that stuff. So get to it!

I've noticed a lot of poker bloggers have become just plain bloggers. I include myself at the top of that list, no doubt. I actually enjoy that stuff even more as I am sure I speak for most readers when I say it is more interesting than reading hand histories or bad beat stories. Waffles rants are also in their own category. Heck, he IS a category. Although his last few posts have been pretty weak talking about how terrible of a baseball coach he is. I liked it better when he would write about trying to get laid. I've met Waffles a couple of times ladies. One word: Pimp.

So where do I go from here? I've asked myself this many times. I guess I will keep at it when I have time, just like rest of you. Life happens. (always link yourself if you have a chance... see how that works?)

Anyone else out there looking for content or is it just me who needs to get a life? I'd love to hear from a lurker who might read this and surprise me by actually saying something of value.

11 comments:

Jordan said...

Anyone following you from an RSS feed does not show up on StatCounter.

Schaubs said...

Thanks Jordo. I had no idea! So how do I get REAL stats then? I love me some stats.

Josie said...

I stopped posting daily when someone told me that some of my posts were disappointing. I will try to amp it up and hopefully turn your list into a Top 6!

Julius_Goat said...

I was just about to post on this.

Speaking only for myself, I think I'm out of shit. I've got nothing left to say on poker. Strangely, I'm doing better at poker lately than ever before.

Anyway, I am trying to decide what's next. Probably reviewing the Animal Planet shows.

BamBam said...

Just no time for poker crap and blogable stories, too busy ready doublebabybumps.

^==== value added.

:)

Bayne_S said...

What a whiny fucking post!

Bottom line is what I am putting most of my energy into these days can not be blogged.

Schaubs said...

LOL Bayne you pussy.

Nice excuse!

BLAARGH! said...

hah - begging for comments. What a.....

oops. it worked.

I'm on reader btw, so you probably don't see me in your stats...

And I have absolutely nothing to blog about. I've put poker on the back burner for a while, so I'm just putting up the stray post here and there until I can get back on the wagon...

lightning36 said...

Faux-Josie comment whore.

Thorn said...

Like Julius, I've hit a lot of run good at the poker tables lately.

Which sadly means I'm less motivated to spend time writing... the tables draw me to them... if I wasn't winning money, I think I'd have a problem.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Something of value.

You're welcome.