So as February came to a close, I managed to get another final table under my belt last night at the Mookie... and finish second to BigSlickNuts. I really feel much more comforatable then I did when I started playing in these blogger tourney's at the end of last year. No major wins to report yet, but I am confident (not "WSOP bracelet race" confident like Hoyazo) that I will get there soon. Last night was my best finish ever in one of these blogger tourney's and it fittingly came on the last day in February. Now I'm gunning for that elusive first place. The only thing I've ever concerned myself with since I embarked on this journey of personal poker improvement. With a second and a third at the Mookie, a 9th and a 2nd in the first two WPBT events I feel like my game is coming around nicely. I'm almost at a point now where I should consider using some form of stat tracker or hand reviewing software. It's inevitable.
So can someone please recommend where I should start? Poker tracker?
I guess I've been reluctant to get this underway partly because I've never really considered myself that good (in comparision to the other very successful bloggers) and secondly, if and when I do start reviewing these stats, I'm afraid of the truth. However, this is not the case any longer. I can honestly say that I am ready to venture into the unknown and take the next baby step in my growth as a poker player. I really don't know what to expect next. All I know is that I can compete with some very very excellent poker players and hold my own. Their results speak for themselves. I, however, have no such monetary results that I can ultimately be pround of to post here (just yet). In other words, no major online wins to book yet. My bank roll is as healthy as it has ever been on Full Tilt, and that is obviously a plus. I might even consider a withdrawal shortly just to see how long it takes Full Tilt to mail me my cheque. For some reason though, I am fearful that if I do that, I'll trigger some unknown force and get cold decked for the entire month of March.
So here is what I will do: I will continue this grind for the month of March and a make a withdrawal if my bank roll exceeds what it is at today. Done.
I look forward to an even more successful March where I can speak of some sort of MTT victory. Not a third, not a second, but a win... (sorry but I just don't count 2-5 table SnG's which I have won on various occasions) and hopefully more than one.... but as I have always said and have heard so many times: "One shot at at time, one putt at a time." Now I just need to aply my golf knowledge to my poker game... and keep practicing.
1.3.07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Great job last night, congrats on the 2nd place finish. Just a matter of time before you take the whole thing down.
I'm curious to what you had on the last hand.
Thanks for playing !
I basically played it about as badly as possible... LOST was on (I knew it would conflict if I went deep) and I decided I would either win or lose right there and then. Little did I know, this LOST episode was going to be a snoozer... otherwise I think without that distraction I would have lasted a bit longer. I really think it was BigSlick's night though considering the comeback he made.
I put him on a busted flush draw and called his re-raise (committed at that point) with my top pair (7cKh)... so if I had hit my heart on the river I'm the one filling out your questionaire... I should have clued in though when he min-bet on the flop with his straight draw. I should have check raised him right there and then... but decided to give him the cheap turn and I paid dearly. Live and learn.
You played great. I certainly caught when I needed to, not much skill involved there.
Thanks for the kind comment on my blog.
Congrats on the second place Mookie finish. These blogger fields are tough and you had some excellent competition in the top ten.
Sounds like you were on a roll this past month. Maybe we'll face off a blogger final table sometime.
I personally would recommend pokertracker. It is actually a phenomenal tool... at least for me it was. Just knowing the subtle details of my game and also giving me the ability to analyze what happened, etc has been very helpful to me. I made a post regarding my positional stats on PT and that's just one of many things I do. And, since this is a personal tool, I don't think there's anything for you to be embarrassed about. If you see obvious leaks in your game or if you notice that you're not as good as you think you are (or you find out you are better than you think you are), both are very good finds. In other words, no matter what you discover, you will discover something and this cannot hurt your quest for personal improvement. Congrats on your numerous tournament finishes.
PS Thanks for your kind words on my blog.
Post a Comment