13.6.08

Double Sports Day

Yesterday I managed to play a round of golf and a game of baseball. Life is good.

I checked out of work at 11am and made my way to the golf course to attempt to qualify for the upcoming club match play. The top 16 get in and you usually have to break 80 to ensure a spot. I had been feeling good about my game lately so I wasn't too worried about not making the top 16, but there is always a chance that I could blow up and shit the bed. That is the last thing I wanted as I love match play and feel that I am a pretty competitive person in that respect.

I wanted to be the #1 seed though. That is always the goal. In fact the time that I shot 8 under (my personal best) was during the exact same qualifying tournament a few years back so I was in a good state of mind heading into yesterday's round. I arrived at the course with about 15 minutes to spare and tee'd it up with Penski.

I birdie the par 5 first hole by making about a 20 footer. 1 undie.
My next 6 holes looked like this: 3-4-4-4(birdie)-3(birdie)-4

Holy crap, I was already 3 under after 6! This was great, and I was feeling like it was going to "one of those days" where everything went just right. I felt a low score coming on.

And then I bogied the par 3 8th hole for a 4. So much for a bogey free round! (always one of my goals).

I birdie the 9th and make the turn at 3 under. Go me... no 5's on the front nine which is a first for me too.

Then I go par, par, birdie. 4 under!

I step on the 13th which is the shortest of the par 3's at our course. It measured 151 yards and the pin was tucked in the front right and was protected by a pond... which I proceeded to hit it into! Smart!! I really am kicking myself at this point because it is such an easy hole and all I had to do was fire at the middle of the green. Poor course management. Boo me.

FUCK. I really had it going there for a minute... So I make a double bogey and slide back to 2 under. Penski is layin' the heat on and is sitting at even par.

I go for the green in two on the par 5 14th and put it in the water again! Fuckin' hell!! I managed to get up and down though and sneak away with a par.

I make another birdie and a bogey and finish the day at 2 under which just might be good enough for the #1 one spot, maybe.

I grab a beer and some grub and then shoot over to the ball field. We played the #1 rank team who had only lost 1 game so far out of 10. It gets down to the bottom of the 7th and we are tied... my buddy Nicktator hits a WALK OFF home run to win! It was pretty cool to watch him bomb it like that under pressure. Sweet.

So yeah, good day, lots of sports.

Not much poker! Weird.

I did play some cash to wind down and dumped off almost two buyins when my JJ and QQ went down in flames againsts KK. Love it. So rigged. JJ hand lost to a shorty so I was going all the way, and I guess I could have layed down the QQ from the BB when it was 4 bet to me, but I pushed anyway. I know I know, I'm so good. I'm so good. 4 bets are always KK or AA right?

----

I read today that ICRUSHBLOGGERS is not really who he says he is. Very dissapointing. Why oh why do people find it necessary to be someone they aren't is beyond me. The whole thing is annoying and so high school. When that blog was first created, and we all were wondering who it was, there were basic clues that it was Hoy (Bayne and I specifcally chatted about this a couple of times), or Hoy's boys or whoever this secret clan of his is.

So basically, he had some "people" write for him, and he would play at bodog under this "bloggercrusher " handle. Big deal. I don't really get it, but on the other hand I can understand why some people would feel like they had been "had". Whatever. I just don't get how a smart guy like Hoy wouldn't realize that this would do more harm then good. I wonder if he will ever get his money out of Bodog since he created all fake account information. Why delete the blog anyway? It would have been fun to go back and look at all the old posts and read them again knowing what we know now. How his "staff" slammed all the other players. How he "was a lurker for so long and would watch the tournaments and comment on how bad the players were." Calling everyone under the sun names and just being down right mean to guys like Smokkee who was instrumental in getting this tournament off the ground in the first place. Low class.

The whole concept is just childish and I have no idea why Hoy would agree to go down that road in the first place.

Either way it never affected me because I am Canadian and can't play on Bodog. But I still support them, why not. I'd definitely play there if I could I know that much.

And lastly I hear that the guy that won the final Bodog TOC lives in Japan and won't even be making the trip! Seems like a bit of a waste. As Astin said it best, if it were a Canadian who won, you know for damn sure that they would be showing up and ready to represent the bloggers and all of those who participated in the battle for those 18 seats. Oh well, maybe next time.

---

GO LAKERS!

GO TIGER! (one over after round 1 of the US Open)

4 comments:

Astin said...

Why shouldn't Hoy get his money? He didn't use any false information to create the account, he just didn't go by the name he's known for. One can assume his address, phone #, etc. are all legit for that account.

Note that this aside from any fallout among the bloggers for it. Shouldn't affect the account though.

Schaubs said...

I'm pretty sure that the final post on ICB referenced the fact that even the address was fake. That he used some of the information from other fellow bloggers instead just for fun... but then he won a bunch of money and also got into the 18 person sng for the WSOP seat... and wondered if he would actually b abl to go since the info. was fake...


This is what I remember anyway... I could be way off... prove it?

PokahDave said...

FUCK the FAWKIN Lakers!!!!!!!

Irongirl01 said...

Go to smokkee's blog he was able to retrieve the posts of Icrushbloggers.