17.4.09

My first driving range compliment(s) lol, Happy likes Golf

Ok maybe not my first, but my first in a very long time. You see I was down at the range that is a skip down the hill from my place and was keeping to myself, doing my usual routine.

I start off with the wedges. These are my new CG14 wedges that I picked up off our head pro a couple of weeks ago. I am still in demo mode so I am free rolling these grooves at the moment. Man do they ever make a difference! I am spinning it from inside 75 now and my chip shots are holding much better and I basically just have more control over my golf ball now which is exactly what I was looking for. Anyway, I step on the range and grab the 56 degree wedge and take dead aim for the car… the one where I shattered the window not too long ago. Ahhh memories.

So I'm landing it on the roof once or twice and basically just goofing off as I normally do while I warm up. Then I get serious and start hitting the shots I need to practice. Set up, grip, alignment, tempo. I pick my target and am just doing my thing as always. I get to the driver and some guy passes by and says "wow you are hitting it halfway up the back net, I can only roll it up there" and we laugh and I say "yep, well I've had lots of practice."

I really never know what to say to people when they give me a golf compliment about a shot. I try to be modest and I usually just tell them that I have been golfing for over 20 years and that I have had lots and lots of practice. That is basically it, just keep practicing.

Then when I am done my session and as I am about to leave another dude shouts out at me as I pass by and says "wow that was awesome, you are the best player I have ever seen hit a ball like that."

I am thinking to myself "Buddy, you need to get out more often!" but instead I say "Thanks, I've had lots of practice..." and I just kept walking. I'm still struggling with what the right response is with a compliment like that. I don't often get them, but when I do, I try to just be me and not be the dickwad who thinks he is all that.

"Hey look at me, I'm the amazing golfer guy" - Happy Gilmore.

I tried to find the exact quote but all I could come up with was these beauties:

Shooter McGavin: You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!
Happy Gilmore: [laughing] You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?
Shooter McGavin: [long pause] No!
----

Chubbs: Golf's no different from Hockey. It requires talent and self discipline.
Happy Gilmore: Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor, the accountant. Probably a great golfer... huge ass.
Chubbs: Hey, I'll bet your neighbor the accountant can't drive the ball four hundred yards. I'll bet your neighbor the accountant doesn't have a shot to get on the Pro Tour!
Happy Gilmore: And how would I do that?
Chubbs: You win the Open tomorrow, and you're automatically on the Pro Tour. Then who knows? Maybe you'll win the Tour Championship one day. Get that gold jacket that I never got.
Happy Gilmore: Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?
----

This scene was shot about 45 minutes from my house:

Announcer: We haven't seen Happy Gilmore play this badly since his first day on tour. He and Bob Barker are now dead last.
Bob Barker: I can't believe you're a professional golfer. I think you should be working at the snack bar.
Happy Gilmore: You better relax, Bob.
Bob Barker: There is no way that you could have been as bad at hockey as you are at golf.
Happy Gilmore: All right, let's go. [Happy punches Bob in the face. Bob grunts as he stumbles to the ground]
Happy Gilmore: [after punching Bob Barker to the ground] You like THAT old man? You want a piece of ME?
Bob Barker: [shakes his head as he get up from the ground] I don't want a PIECE of you... I want the whole THING! [Bob punches Happy in the stomach once then punches him in the face ten times. His tenth blow causes happy to fall into a small pond]

Have a good weekend peeps.

3 comments:

Astin said...

Easy response - "Damn straight bitch! I'm the MAN!"

Then, you put on your best patronizing voice and say, "Maybe if you practice REEEEALLY hard, you'll be 1/3rd as good as me before you die."

Or just mumble something about having a good day.

Jordan said...

Semi-related sidenote, I'm taking golfing lessons starting in June.

OES said...

Camillo Villegas designs my golf attire so I get a lot of compliments on my clothes ;).....NOT.