26.1.07

My first Riverchaser, came third, props to Alcanthang!


It was great to finally meet Sir AlCantHang, that I know for sure. When I got home after work I checked out the lineup for the Thursday blogger tourney's. Since there were two to choose from, it was either going to be the Riverchaser on Full Tilt or CC's Thursday Bash which took place a half hour later... on Joker, err I mean, Pokerstars...

Well based purely on the fact that I wanted to get playing as quickly as possible, I opted for the Riverchaser which paid off and then some. My strategy was to play tight and get lucky, and if I could hang out long enough then I'd be nice and focused and not even worry about trying to play the second tourney at the same time. I mean let's face it, I'm still learning here and consider myself quite the rookie when it comes to these blogger games. Players like Hoy and Tripjax were there along with many other familiar blogger types.

Anyway, the results were favorable and it felt good to make the final table and eventually finish in third. I had the chip lead a few times and I always felt like I was aware of where I was, in relation to the rest of the field. First of all, it wasn't perfect poker. It never is. Secondly, you've gotta get lucky... usually more than once. Thirdly, you've gotta win the races at the right times (get lucky).
I'll try to post more later, maybe.

6 comments:

TripJax said...

Damn...well done man. I had a horrific night both at the tourneys and cash games. I eventually just turned the computer off and got some much needed rest. I'm glad to see you did well.

I have added you to my list of reads...keep up the good playin' and bloggin'.

CarmenSinCity said...

WOW! Very nice. Congratulations on taking 3rd.

SirFWALGMan said...

good job scwabby.

Matt said...

I happened to be watching your table when you tripled up with that A on the river. Is that what Greenstein's book is all about?

Nice job man.

Schaubs said...

Matt - Yeah that was definitely the turning point... haven't read Barry's book yet... I think it went like this:

I was in the SB with AKd
UTG raised it 3x (Jacks)
UTG + 1 raised it all in (10's)
I had them both covered and I reraised all in and UTG called
I spiked the A on the river to send them both packing. I nearly jumped out of my chair!

Good to be lucky this time.

Matt said...

Sorry if that came across backhanded, it wasn't meant to.

Hell, I haven't even read Greenstein's book either.