I just finished off 4 days in a row of golf. The weather was perfect. The golf, of course, was not. I did however manage to finish second (yay me) in the Pro-Am I played in which netted me a few good prizes. However, first is always, and will only ever be, what I care about winning. Sure it feels good to "hold my own" and not choke all the way out of the prizes like last year, but I had a chance to win and I couldn't pull it off. There's always next year.
I did pick up one of these and I have not doubt it will improve my game... in fact, it already has!
So as I drove into work today, I was thinking about the different levels of competition and how seriously some people take the various aspects of their craft(s). For me, it's all about winning. I think I speak for most people when I make such an obvious statement. Why else would we play? For some, sure it's about the money (they need it to survive and it is their primary source of income). For some its the fame, the recognition etc. But for most, it's just about winning. No matter what it is. A truely competitive person will tell you that it doesn't matter what the match is, the goal is to win. Simple. Sure money is a nice reward, but ultimately it is ALL about winning. Playing to "get in the points" or playing for second or third is often a last resort (or it should be). Anyone who says they are playing "for fun" either sucks at what they are doing, or has no interest in getting better. Either way, those are the ones that feed us, and they are the ones who will continue to donate and donk.
So what is your level of compete?
31.5.07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment