27.6.08

Bringing Newbies to Vegas

Ok so in 3 short weeks I will be in Vegas once again... that's right baby, Vegas. It will be my 4th time since October, so it should come as no surprise that I will be looking for new and exciting things to see and do. However, I must also ensure that those who have never been, have the time of their lives.

I want to make sure they get the full experience of Vegas... except I find it awfully difficult to do it in one little short 4 day trip. Factor in the wedding that we will be attending, and it really only leaves about 2.5 days of free time.

What I'm looking for is some advice on what places that are "must sees" for first timers. These first timers are not big poker players, so the novelty of going to every poker room would wear thin very quickly. In fact, the only time we will hit up a poker room is to donk it up at 1/2 (or 3) NL and try to get as drunk as fast as possible. I figure it's one of the best ways to get the booze flowing. Think about it, just post your blinds, fold fold fold, and drink drink drink. Play the top 4-5 hands and that is it! That's the plan for a couple of my rookie poker friend types anyway. It's either that, or find a few slot machines with an attentive waitress and tip her big early and often to keep her coming back...

Obviously eating will be a big one, so what restaurants will we visit? I've already planned for the four of us (Lola and our best buds) to go to the Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay). I went there with Fuel, LJ and Alan back in December and it was one of the best times I've ever had at a restaurant in Vegas. The food was spectacular, and the wine was amazing. The ambiance, the location, the people, the staff all make for a great experience. Maybe it was because Fuel was the wine picker/buyer but I just remember the good times and great tastes... it was a time I will never forget. The buds want to check out a famous restaurant, and really that is the only one I know of. Actually, Prime Steakhouse would be a very close second now that I think about it. That dinner with CC, Kuro, Smiz etc. was amazing as well. Any other suggestions out there?

Ok, so what about a buffet? I've only ever done an all you can eat Vegas buffet once, and that was ten years ago. Any good ones out there? Price?

What about fun stuff like rollercoasters, and rides? Stuff that the average non-gambler will enjoy. Sitting by the pool is always an option, but I've got access to a nice pool here at the inlaws place, soooo big deal right. A pool is a pool is a pool... unless it's Rehab on Sunday.

We arrive the day after the final table is decided in the main event. Not sure what that really means, or what to expect as far as people or action at the poker tables, but I know I will make time to get mine in.

That's all I can think of for now, if anyone can give me a good suggestion or two it would be a big help.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Canada's bday is just around the corner, should be a blast as always.

Later.

5 comments:

Astin said...

NI9E steakhouse, Delmonico (Emeril Lagasse), hell, you can fill up at lunch at the Carnegie deli in the Mirage. Safe bet? Look for restaurants that have parallels in NYC :)

Spice Market Buffet in Planet Hollywood is decent for around $25. I still haven't made the Bellagio buffet, but have heard good things.

Non-gambling... there's rollercoasters, fake skydiving, Red Rocks, car museums, shows, and a gentlemen's club or two... depends what they're in to.

lightning36 said...

Best buffets are Spice Market, Bellagio, Paris, and maybe Wynn. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Gotta be careful about when you go, though. Sometimes you wait in line forever.

BamBam said...

Hit up breakfast/brunch at the Bellagio for sure. If theres a line up that looks too long, walk right up front and ask about the seating at the bar area. Always comfortable seats there and the best service in the place anyhow.

The extravagance that is a Bellagio breakfast, will make the rookies giggle for sure.

Matt said...

I'll throw my support behind the Spice Buffet. Haven't been to it since the PH takeover but it was always fantastic when it was Aladdin.

The rollercoaster at NYNY is decent but a bit expensive for just one coaster, although I believe you still get unlimited rides for the day.

One of my favorite experiences in Vegas was just simply sipping a margarita on the NYNY-MGM bridge at 6am, watching the sunrise. One of the quietest times in Vegas, kind of gives you a new perspective.

And, well, there's always the Rhino.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Listen to astin for his recommendation. Gibby's in montreal was phenomenal. Bellagio buffet is a must. Here's a little trick. Go up to the bellagio poker room, find the floor person, tell him that you wanna run to the buffet to grab some food but don't want to get taken off the table. Sometimes (it depends on the floor guy), they give you a vip pass so you can go through the vip lane. But if not, it's still worth waiting in line.

Breakfast buffet at bellagio is a must.

Rides - hit the stratosphere at night. The view is awesome and it's just a fun time. Ride the rollercoaster. It's actually not that scary... scariest part was getting on the rollercoaster... and I'm afraid of heights. If you or your friends have balls, you guys could do the drop zone and the other ride that shoots down the slope... both at the top of the stratosphere.

Rollercoaster at NYNY is a blast even though it's a little uncomfortable.

Go to the shark aquarium at mandalay bay. Hit the ferrari store at the wynn. If you guys have the time, take lola to "O" at the bellagio. Best show ever. Go to the candle museum at the venetian. I mean there are so many things to do there. Don't bore your friends by giving them a tour of the poker rooms. Vegas is still great for newbies. Oh, and see if you can catch the free show at TI. It was actually pretty good. And don't forget. ROAD BEER!!!!