Played in the Mookie last night. I really used to do well in this thing (I am right around the top 20 for the YTD earnings apparantly). I am not sure if I can blame it on being rusty anymore either. Am I getting worse, or are others getting better? Now that it is a deepstacks tourney, I'll have to rethink my strategy a little... and maybe try get to the third hour next time. I made some nice plays and chipped up to about 4200 early on, but went totally card dead and tried to make too much out of nothing when being patient is the true secret.
Ok so anyway, here are a few (not a couple) of hands that I found interesting and would like some feedback on:1. A good laydown?
Full Tilt Poker Game #2921353351: Table Corporate Center - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:10:34 ET - 2007/07/12
Seat 1: jhill_madami ($60.45)
Seat 2: Rochin4825 ($19.55)
Seat 3: stungar ($84.35)
Seat 4: spiveydinho ($52.45)
Seat 5: Crowsbro ($25.50)
Seat 6: Schaubs ($53.10)
Seat 7: Xenopolist ($48.20)
Seat 8: TCharles ($32.25)
Seat 9: thongsniffer ($50)
TCharles posts the small blind of $0.25
thongsniffer has 5 seconds left to act
thongsniffer posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Schaubs [Ks Ah]
jhill_madami folds
Rochin4825 folds
stungar folds
spiveydinho folds
Crowsbro raises to $1
Schaubs calls $1
Xenopolist folds
TCharles folds
thongsniffer folds
*** FLOP *** [Kd Jd 6h]
Crowsbro checks
Schaubs bets $2
Crowsbro calls $2
*** TURN *** [Kd Jd 6h] [7h]
Crowsbro checks
Schaubs bets $4
Crowsbro calls $4
*** RIVER *** [Kd Jd 6h 7h] [6d]
Crowsbro bets $8
Schaubs has 15 seconds left to act
Schaubs folds
Uncalled bet of $8 returned to Crowsbro
Crowsbro mucks
Crowsbro wins the pot ($14.05)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $14.75 Rake $0.70
Board: [Kd Jd 6h 7h 6d]
Seat 1: jhill_madami didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: Rochin4825 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: stungar didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: spiveydinho didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: Crowsbro collected ($14.05), mucked
Seat 6: Schaubs folded on the River
Seat 7: Xenopolist (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: TCharles (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 9: thongsniffer (big blind) folded before the Flop
_____
2. How not to play QQ...
Full Tilt Poker Game #2921389451: Table Corporate Center - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:14:09 ET - 2007/07/12
Seat 1: jhill_madami ($59.20)
Seat 2: Rochin4825 ($20.55)
Seat 3: stungar ($82.35)
Seat 4: spiveydinho ($54.70)
Seat 5: Crowsbro ($32.80)
Seat 6: Schaubs ($46.10)
Seat 7: Xenopolist ($48.20)
Seat 8: TCharles ($32)
Seat 9: thongsniffer ($49.25)
stungar posts the small blind of $0.25
spiveydinho has 5 seconds left to act
spiveydinho posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Schaubs [Qs Qc]
Crowsbro raises to $1 <---- This guy on my right is pretty solid so far. Go with your read! Schaubs calls $1
Xenopolist folds
TCharles folds
thongsniffer folds
jhill_madami folds
Rochin4825 folds
stungar folds s
piveydinho has 15 seconds left to act
spiveydinho folds
*** FLOP *** [Jh 7s Ad]
Crowsbro checks
Schaubs checks <---- I have to check here right?
*** TURN *** [Jh 7s Ad] [Ac]
Crowsbro checks Schaubs bets $2.75 <---- what are the chances he checked the Ace? Sneaky. And it makes it even less likely that he has an Ace now that there are two of them showing. Crowsbro raises to $5.50 Ok I guess he has an Ace. Can I really fold here though?
Schaubs calls $2.75
*** RIVER *** [Jh 7s Ad Ac] [2h]
Crowsbro checks <---- very sneaky!
Schaubs has 15 seconds left to act
Schaubs bets $7.50
Crowsbro calls $7.50 How doesn't he raise here?
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Schaubs shows [Qs Qc] two pair, Aces and Queens
Crowsbro shows [Ah Kh] three of a kind, Aces Crowsbro wins the pot ($27.35) with three of a kind, Aces
*** SUMMARY *** Total pot $28.75 Rake $1.40 Board: [Jh 7s Ad Ac 2h]
Seat 1: jhill_madami didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: Rochin4825 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: stungar (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 4: spiveydinho (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 5: Crowsbro showed [Ah Kh] and won ($27.35) with three of a kind, Aces
Seat 6: Schaubs showed [Qs Qc] and lost with two pair, Aces and Queens
Seat 7: Xenopolist didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: TCharles didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: thongsniffer didn't bet (folded) This one hurt, but I think I got away with minimal spewage... not sure what he was putting me on here with the river call only.
_____
3. Set mining 101, flopped straights never win according to Fuel:
Full Tilt Poker Game #2921423893: Table Corporate Center - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:17:37 ET - 2007/07/12
Seat 1: jhill_madami ($57.70)
Seat 2: Rochin4825 ($21.10)
Seat 3: stungar ($82.10)
Seat 4: spiveydinho ($59.30)
Seat 5: Crowsbro ($44.40)
Seat 6: Schaubs ($31.60)
Seat 7: Xenopolist ($45.70)
Seat 8: TCharles ($32)
Seat 9: thongsniffer ($49.25)
Schaubs posts the small blind of $0.25
Xenopolist posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Schaubs [9c 9s]
TCharles folds
thongsniffer has 15 seconds left to act
thongsniffer calls $0.50
jhill_madami folds
Rochin4825 has 15 seconds left to act
Rochin4825 raises to $1.75
stungar folds
spiveydinho folds
Crowsbro calls $1.75 <---- calls on the button... could have a variety of hands.
Schaubs calls $1.50
Xenopolist calls $1.25
thongsniffer calls $1.25
*** FLOP *** [9h Jd Td]
Schaubs checks <---- I've been checking flopped sets when in EP with a raiser. make sense? Xenopolist checks
thongsniffer has 15 seconds left to act
thongsniffer checks
Rochin4825 has 15 seconds left to act
Rochin4825 bets $3.50
Crowsbro raises to $16 <---- This caught me off guard, but I was willing to gamble with this guy.
Schaubs raises to $29.85, and is all in
Xenopolist folds
thongsniffer folds
Rochin4825 calls $15.85, and is all in
Crowsbro calls $13.85
Schaubs shows [9c 9s]
Rochin4825 shows [Jh Ad] <---- TPTK donkey.
Crowsbro shows [7h 8c] <---- uber donkey who thinks he just hit gold... doesn't he know?
*** TURN *** [9h Jd Td] [Ts] BINGO.
*** RIVER *** [9h Jd Td Ts] [5s]
Schaubs shows a full house, Nines full of Tens
Crowsbro shows a straight, Jack high
Schaubs wins the side pot ($21) with a full house, Nines full of Tens
Rochin4825 shows two pair, Jacks and Tens
Schaubs wins the main pot ($63.80) with a full house, Nines full of Tens
Rochin4825 is sitting out
*** SUMMARY *** Total pot $87.80 Main pot $66.80. Side pot $21. Rake $3
Board: [9h Jd Td Ts 5s]
Seat 1: jhill_madami didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: Rochin4825 showed [Jh Ad] and lost with two pair, Jacks and Tens
Seat 3: stungar didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: spiveydinho didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: Crowsbro (button) showed [7h 8c] and lost with a straight, Jack high
Seat 6: Schaubs (small blind) showed [9c 9s] and won ($84.80) with a full house, Nines full of Tens
Seat 7: Xenopolist (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 8: TCharles didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: thongsniffer folded on the Flop
Ok I got lucky, but isn't that all part of variance? At first I put Crow on KQ suited, I don't think I am good enough yet to lay down the set...
____
4. How not to maximize AK:
Full Tilt Poker Game #2921488551: Table Corporate Center - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:24:09 ET - 2007/07/12
Seat 1: jhill_madami ($66.05)
Seat 2: Rochin4825 ($15.60)
Seat 3: stungar ($82.10)
Seat 4: spiveydinho ($54)
Seat 5: Crowsbro ($20), is sitting out
Seat 6: Schaubs ($84.80)
Seat 7: Xenopolist ($39.95)
Seat 8: TCharles ($46.05)
Seat 9: thongsniffer ($44.75)
Rochin4825 has 5 seconds left to act
Rochin4825 posts the small blind of $0.25
stungar posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Schaubs [As Kd]
Schaubs: rebuy
spiveydinho raises to $1.50
Schaubs calls $1.50
Xenopolist folds
TCharles folds
thongsniffer folds
jhill_madami folds
Rochin4825 folds
stungar folds
*** FLOP *** [Kh 5c 2d]
spiveydinho bets $2.75
Schaubs calls $2.75
*** TURN *** [Kh 5c 2d] [2s]
spiveydinho has 15 seconds left to act
spiveydinho checks
Schaubs has 15 seconds left to act
Schaubs checks
*** RIVER *** [Kh 5c 2d 2s] [Kc]
spiveydinho checks
Schaubs bets $14
spiveydinho has 15 seconds left to act
spiveydinho folds
Uncalled bet of $14 returned to Schaubs
Schaubs mucks
Schaubs wins the pot ($8.80)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $9.25 Rake $0.45
Board: [Kh 5c 2d 2s Kc]
Seat 1: jhill_madami (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: Rochin4825 (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 3: stungar (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 4: spiveydinho folded on the River
Seat 5: Crowsbro is sitting out
Seat 6: Schaubs collected ($8.80), mucked
Seat 7: Xenopolist didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: TCharles didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: thongsniffer didn't bet (folded)
My thinking with the $14 overbet on the river (is this a bad move? make sense?) was that I really hoped he put me on Ax and thought I was just trying to steal the pot. Hoping he had 66-1010, but in reality he probably had a weak Ace himself. Good fold by him I guess.
____
Ok so that's about it for now, I could post more, but I don't want to lose readers, since I'd really actually like to get more, with useable feedback. No comments are mandatory though, you can just lurk if you really want too.
____
Golf Update:
I lost my match on the 17th hole last weekend. I guess you could say I was still on tilt (Golf tilt does exists) from my 2nd place finish in the Club C. I really played like shit and could have taken down the first round match with ease if I had just played ABC golf. I was too aggressive in all the wrong spots (sound familiar?). Oh well, time to enjoy the sunshine this weekend.
I think I'll be taking a break from both golf and poker this weekend and relax with friends by the pool, BBQ some various meats and have a few bizzy's (no change there).
Have a good weekend everyone.

8 comments:
1. Good laydown. Very few hands you could beat at that point. A6 or diamond, either way has you beat. And either way, you know he calls with mediocre garbage. Noteworthy.
2. Villain's call on the river is a little surprising but then again, he checkraised you on the turn and you called. Maybe he wanted to make sure that you didn't have a worse A that gave you boat? Still, surprising. But VERY BAD bet by you on the river. Think about what you were trying to accomplish there? It's one thing if you are value betting there. But a better hand than yours won't fold to a bet (for example, if he had KK) and any worse hands probably won't call (TT for example). There's a time to bluff on the river but that wasn't it.
3. nice hand
4. I like your turn check but go easy on the betting on the river. That's where you want to make a value bet. Only overbet for value if a) you know what your opponent has and b) you're sure that they'll have a hard time letting go. In other words, if you think he has a marginal hand, he won't call an overbet but may call a lesser bet (like 50% of pot). You possibly left some money out there...
btw, I meant to rail you in the mookie for a little while but I was tilting and was in a cranky mood so sorry about that...
1.I wouldn't just call pre-flop. You didn't show strength so he has no reason to fold to your bet on the flop. After that, good lay-down.
2.Not bad. I might have checked it down because he was calling on the turn with two A's showing.
3.Bottom set is tough to shove with after his big bet. But it paid off! I may have called and then waited until the turn to shove (if player behind you called also), but then again, I am still a donkey. It is hard to throw away a set.
4.Again, I would have re-raised pre-flop. I would have made a c-bet on the turn and I think he would call, seeing it as a c-bet. He knows you haven't improved with the 2. I'm hoping he has A5 and then calls another medium bet on the river.
Not that you played any of it wrong. It is real easy to look back after you know the cards and say how you would have played it.
Enjoy the weekend off!
I'm with Jayhawk. You need to add pre-flop re-raises to your arsenal.
Keyword searches are found on Statcounter. It's called something like "Recent Keyword Analysis" or something like that.
wow. alan just sent me over here and i'm loving your blog. i've been playing .25/.50 and spewing, so very nice to read hands of a solid player. look forward to reading your archives when i have some spare minutes.
Schaubs,
Though I generally agree with incorporating reraises preflop, I'm ok with not doing that out of deception. I'd say with AK, reraise sometimes, smooth call other times, and maybe even limp sometimes. But in instances where you are disguising your strength, if there's too much action, you'd have to fold post flop. Sometimes, you might see that you had the best hand and that the action was caused by donkeys but that's the price you pay of mixing up your play.
Generally, it just seemed like a lot of passive plays. If you bet out on the flop with the QQ, for instance, you'd know right away if he had the Ace. Likewise, you could've made more money on some of the other hands if your were betting out. Too much calling preflop, and not enough raising.
Post a Comment