The title says it all. 3 rounds, 54 holes, I lose by one. It was obviously a lot to ask of myself, but I really thought I could still pull it off if I shot under par on the final day.
Saturday started out just fine. 37 on the front nine and in good position to post a low score on the first day. My luck, however, ran out on the 18th hole when I hit my drive down the left side and it rolled up against a tree trunk. My only options were to chip out sideways, or try to pull of some sort of ridiculous left handed shot. I opted to do the smart thing and chip out... but didn't exactly pull it off and left my ball in the rough still. I ended up making double bogey on 18 to shoot 3 over 75 on Day 1. The leader shot 69 and I was already 6 shots back.
Sunday seemed to be a little tougher. I am not sure why but I think I put too much pressure on myself to catch up. It's sort of like the feeling you get when you know you are short stacked and the blinds are starting to escalate (somewhere in the middle of the tournament). You think to yourself "I have to make a move soon" but in reality, if you stay patient, good things will happen. Long story short, I didn't pick the right cards to play at the right time so to speak. In other words, I flew a few greens on the front nine, hit too much club and made a few too many bogies. 78 on Day 2, but the leader shot 77. I was heading into the final round 7 shots back, and was sitting in 4th place.
I decided not to play in the Big Game and take my chances. I was sitting in 48th place and figured there were only 3-4 people that could realistically knock me down and out of the top 50. It never happened though! I am very lucky to be included in this freeroll, although I did get some much needed points last week to keep me afloat.
When I woke up on Monday morning I was feeling great. I wasn't nursing the usual hangover from Canada Day as I was smart enough to stop drinking at around 10pm. I had a nice breakfast and made my way to the course at about noon. Monday was the final round of the tournament and my last chance to make a run for the title. I had to put up a good number in order to even THINK that I had a chance. Realistically, I was playing for second (4 shots back on the final day). After all, the guy that had the lead for the entire tournament played for Team Canada in a Junior event only 2 years ago. How could I expect him to just give me the win? I really didn't think I had a chance, but in golf, you just never know...
I birdied 8 and 9 to shoot even on the front nine. I had heard that the leader had just put in the water on 8, so I was still in it and probably only 3 shots back at the time (There was a lack of information on where everyone stood, so it was a bit of a guessing game). I figured I'd just try my best to go low on what would be my last 9 holes of the tournament. I made par on 10, 11, 12,13. I absolutely crushed a drive on the par 5 14th where I only had 185 yards left to the green. I knocked it on and two putted for my birdie. I was now 1 under par and the nerves were starting to creep up on me as I began to realize just how close I actually was to winning this. I made a two putt par on 15. 3 holes to play.
Crushed another drive, and was left with 95 yards to the pin. Here is where I think I lost it. I hit it a little thin and it flew beyond the pin to the back of the green. I had a very tough downhill chip and I ran in by about 20 feet. I missed that putt and recorded my first bogey on the back 9. In hindsight, I need a caddy for those situations. There was just too much going on in my head that the time. I actually even told myself I was at the final table LOL. If I could do it all over again, I would have just chunked one up there and made a simple par. At the time I remember thinking that I needed one more birdie. I went for the win and it didn't pay off. Oh well. I made a great par on 17 and actually an even better bogey on 18. I'd have to say that the second shot I hit on 18 was one of the best shots I had hit in my life. I was in the club house as the leader, and the final group was coming up 18.
There were probably 50-60 people watching at this point. The two day leader hit his approach shot short of the green. The pressure was mounting and I was ready for him to just hand me the trophy. If he could somehow make a bogey, we were going to a playoff... I crossed my fingers and hoped. He hit his chip about 7 feet from the pin. At the time, everyone thought that all he had to do was two putt (make a 5 for the win). Little did we know, he had to make it. And he did. He made a 7 foot side hill slider for the win. Obviously I would have liked to get a shot or two back over the weekend, but overall I am happy. It always stings knowing all the "if I had only done this differently..." type of moments that you want back. I can't do all the "what if's" though. I am proud of how I played, especially on the final day. It is something that I will be able to recall for many more tournaments to come.
My scores: 75-78-73 = 226
The winning scores: 69-77-79 = 225
He almost choked and gave it to me... not really a bad beat per say, but it sure stings knowing how close I really was.
That makes 3 2nd places in my last 4 tournaments. Although I keeping winning prizes for 2nd, it is never as satisfying as actually winning... which I have yet to do, so I can really only imagine at this point what it truely does feel like.
Now it's time to prepare for my first match in the match play this weekend and defend my title.
I played in the MATH last night. I got schooled by Cracknaces when he turned his set of 8's. I then got my Aces cracked by Lightning after I smooth called his preflop raise from MP with pocket 10's. He hit his set and IGH. I am glad to see that he made use of the chips and finished second to none other than Mr. Lucko himself.
3.7.07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Felt bad for you 'cause I saw that you were going to be totally surprised by the set. Damn those pocket Aces - how the hell do you play them correctly?
I should have won last night. I was a card rack at the end until I got heads up with lucko21. Sometimes the cards just fall the right way, and sometimes ...
Note to self:
Don't bet on golf with Schaubs.
wow, i guess your golf game IS pretty good. i shot 86 at UBC today and felt like i left 5 or 6 shots out there. 80 for me would be fantastic.
too bad you got 2nd but thats not too bad
see you soon at the fcpc
Post a Comment