I've been tossing around the idea of doing something really really stupid. Which is - buying in directly to one of the FTOPS tournies. Please here me out before you chastise me:
- I'd be donating around 1/4 of my entire bank roll to play in tonight's event.
- The money I would be donating would be "free money" as it has come from other sources other than poker
- I've never played an FTOPS event
- My expectations are very low, and I am 90% cetain this is a donation... me? get in the money? win? Ha.
- The money doesn't mean much to me in the sense that it's just sitting there anyway, waiting to be used for blogger tournies or the odd 6 max cash (which is like 4 or 8 BI's).
- I really want to play in an FTOPS event this time around
- I rarely play in big field events for big money
- you only live once
- Instead I could cash that money out and save it for a Vegas trip (so far I have one in May and one in July scheduled)
So those reasons are pretty basic, and only a couple of them really make sense as to why I should fork over the 2 hundo to play in a 1000+ person event.
Please give me your thoughts as I am currently on the fence here and need a reason to pull the trigger either way. I mean what else could I do with that money?
Do you agree with this statement? : If you can't satellite into the event, then you have no business playing in the event in the first place.
I'll be at the Mookie tonight either way. I'll also be watching the Big Cash Game that the Big Shots (and some small shots) will be playing in. I think that goes off at 8:30 left coast time.
----
Other randomness (non poker):
- Lola beat my ass in bowling last night. Her high score: 182. Mine: 146. Wiiiiiii.
- My Wii tennis game is easily the best out of the Wii Sports games... even though I am a golfer first and foremost (I honestly haven't given golf that much of a chance yet). I guess it comes from all my badminton back in the day coupled with my pickleball expertise that I picked up in high school.
- I had a dream last night that I won a Grammy Award, and then when I went to read my acceptance speech... I was given some other crap and I was totally embarassed.
- It really sucks that every show that I watch weekly is now on Thursdays. I heart my PVR.
- My PVR sucks LOL. There are so many little things that I think they can improve on and I am constantly getting annoyed with the inventor's lack of vision. I guess its the first step in many versions to come, but still some of the most basic things are missing.
- I really need to get to the driving range soon and get out and play some golf! The weather here has been shitty, but not cold enough that I can't at least pound some balls to let off a little steam.
- The Canucks are 20-0 this season when they have the lead heading into the 3rd period... The only problem is, they haven't had the lead heading into the 3rd in 10 straight games now... They are terrible at coming from behind and their recent slide into 9th place supports this. Pick it up suckas!

8 comments:
root for a real team.... FLYERS!!!
So this is where your email comes from. Well, shit. You only live once. Buy-in if you really want to. You might just be disappointed that the quality of play in this big buyin MTT is really no better than the Mookie.
I agree. If you really want to, you should do it. Good hunting.
First, it will probably be more than 3,000 runners.
Second, you should do it. I cashed in it last time I played it, so anybody can. The play is no better than the 28K. I'm serious.
I'll see you there.
It is wrong to buy in to direct for an event that you have attempted satellite to.
It means you are paying more than 100% buyin.
Pick a later event that you have not attempted satellite to and if you play more 6-max make it a 6 max event. Might as well make attempt in best format.
I finished 10th. Was an interesting End Game. One guy had 50K with 11 runners left. I was in 2nd with 12K and everyone else waqs bunched right around that mark. The big stack was raising and re-raising like he should.When he re-raised my AQ, I pushed. He had KQ. And flopped the nuts.
Weeeeeeeeeeeee!
I say do it. I am and my 'roll is not healthy enough for repeated $216 buy-ins either. I like to take random shots, though. Good structure and generally iffy play.
I say don't do it. Wait until your game is where you need it to be. I'm not saying top notch...but where you say, I'm feeling good enough to take a shot. Take good calculated shots. If you are putting your chips in when you know you are dominated and saying...screw it...i say you aren't where you need to be. If you are pushing your chips in because you have a bunch of outs and it is well calculated I say go for it...just my take.
I say it's your cash and just like poker itself, you pay to play what and how you want.
Would I? after re-reading this post about four times and trying to read between the lines of a new friend, NO.
I'm with The Rooster, (despite his newly aquired B-List status) focus on getting in at the lower levels.
If you're really on your game, you'll know when it's the right time to blast the bankroll for a shot if you have to. By the sounds of things, you're already at more than 100% buy-in.
But if tonight's the night in your mind, I wish you the best. It just doesn't sound like that's the case from the tone of this post.
"Desperation and desire, the creation of a poor man. Innovation and intellect, the creation of something special."
Howard Hughes (pre-looney-tunes)
I'm trying to learn the game of no limit race'em at a level I am comfortable with. The mookie & Riverchasers are that spot. I personally, am not going to jump into a $200+ buy-in on-line to see how I do. But that's me.
I've spent far more than that on Stud games. But that's my comfort zone for both my cash and my confidence. You just need to make sure you have both when you jump in.
G/L, whatever you decide.
Post a Comment