Holy crap! Over 5,300 players in the first FTOPS event? That is just plain nuts if you ask me. It's funny because when Goat commented on how how many people he thought it would be I thought he was totally exagerating... I guess there are a lot of Fult Tilt members out there that just decided to buy in directly like I was sillishly contemplating.
I appreciate all the great advice I received yesterday. In the end, I sided with the majority of the comments (by my scientific calculations anyway) and decided that, for various reasons, I was not going to put up the $216 and dent my roll in a major way just to satisfy some sort of urge or need.
Bam Bam's quote was quite fitting:
"Desperation and desire, the creation of a poor man. Innovation and intellect, the creation of something special."Howard Hughes (pre-looney-tunes)
I even had some advice from a self-proclaimed A-lister (who can argue with him anyway when he is the champ):
"Wait until your game is where you need it to be. I'm not saying top notch...but where you say, I'm feeling good enough to take a shot."
That says it right there. I am just not ready (although I sometimes question whether I will EVER be ready). My game is not ready, and my poker midset is not on point. In the end, it was a smart decision and when I woke up this morning, I still had an extra $216 in my poker account. That's like a win right there.
A big congrats goes out to JoeSpeaker who put his money up and ended up finishing somewhere around the 350 mark for a cash of double his buyin. Well done sir, keep running good and keep that game tight and squeaky clean.
So after looking at the schedule, the only tournament that I realistically want to play in now is the main event. I plan on taking that unspent money and using a portion of it for satellites. If I don't make it after 2-3 tries I will just fuck it all together.
However, I've come up with a new way to blow some money: Buy some action of other bloggers... Yep, I mean why not put my money behind some of the best poker players I know. So if you think you'd like to sell a portion of your stake, then let me know. I'm setting a side about a hundo to gamble with. I'd like to spread it out over a few people, although I am not sure anyone will take me up on the offer.
Let's say the cost of a particular tourney is $216. Well I'll buy 1% for $3. That's not a bad return right there. 5% for $15 and so on. I'll rail you, trash talk others and do whatever I can to ensure you go deep in the tourney. I think I'll probably have more fun doing that then stressing over whether I should call OOP with my pocket 4's in the BB.
Which brings me to my current struggle. I constantly am faced with those types of OOP calls these days. It's something I must really work on. I must have seen 77, 66, 44, AQo and 99 OOP within the first 30 minutes of the Mookie last night, and I just couldn't seem to get anything going. It just never felt right at the time. I was always saying to myself "man not again, another decent (not great) hand and I have no idea if I should be calling or raising". Especially since the Mookie moved to 1500 chip starting stack. It made those decisions even harder in the early goings. I need to adjust and learn more that is for sure. I remember doing very well a while back when it was 1500, maybe I played a lot tighter back then, right now I'm just not sure what the difference is.
I'd have to say my preflop calling range is all over the map right now and I just can't seem to find the right formula of when to fold, when to raise etc. Post flop I seem to be more comfortable. I am not sure why, but that is where my head is at these days. It actually kinda sucks when I have that feeling of confusion and the clock is ticking and I can't seem to pull the trigger either way. Post flop I can usually recognize when someone has missed, and I make the effort take the pot away right there.
----
I've started watching season one of the Wire, and so far it is really good. I wouldn't say totally awesome, but good. I guess watching it late at night might have something to do with it too. Whatever it is, I am already hooked and it's only episode 3. Good stuff.
Can't WAIT for LOST tonight, that show is the best thing going right now.
----
Are there any bloggers already in event #2? My best guess would be this guy for sure. If you haven't read his PLO strategy yet, I suggest you do. He's got to be the best Omaha player I know and really has done very well the past few months. Keep it up, and take that thing down tonight! Time for a blogger to go deep and represent!
7.2.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Any pair below 88 are garbage. AQ and 99 are good hands. And this question is silly.
"man not again, another decent (not great) hand and I have no idea if I should be calling or raising"
If you have a good hand, raise. Don't call a raise with a pair smaller than 88 unless you are a good post flop player or the stacks are deep. If a guy only has 900 and raises to 150, you don't have set mining odds in a HU situation so any pair below 77 or 88 is just bad play, IMO.
yeah, your JJ hand really sucked.
YAY FOR THE WIRE!!!!!
Life lesson learned! Congrats Schubs! It's one of those times that this old man gets to say,
"I'm proud of you."
I can work to teach you life and poker, just not hold'em. This format is completly strange to an old man that's played poker his entire life. Mind you, I love tryin' and I loves me some learnin'.
With that said, here's 2 more life lessons, just for you.
1) "Get good at something you love. Love something you're good at. These two things are always connected.
2)We all have goals. It's those that reach, that seem to achieve. Those that stretch, are doomed to fail."
Bam-Bam 2008
(and several years earlier)
The Wire is the stone cold nuts of TV shows. Once you finish season 1, you'll look at all other TV differently. At least I did. Once you finish season 4, you'll just be sad that there are only 5 seasons of the Wire, and that no show like it will ever be created again. I don't know any other show that creates such a vivid world and populates it with so many interesting characters and gripping stories, told in a completely deadpan style.
I'm alarmed by this issue maybe because I'm interested but could not relate to the topic.You have mentioned TV shows,can I ask what was the title of the show your always watching?Maybe then I can relate to the topic.If you don't mind me asking,what is wire anyway?
Criean
Play The Poker League Today, the Poker League is Challenging, and Fun, for players at all levels with Added Cash and FREE Bonus Seats to Live Poker Tornaments Worldwide in 28 Selected Weekly Guaranteed MTT Tournaments, 4 Games a Day 7 Days a Week with a yearly prize pool of over €17 Million . http://www.CelebPoker.com
Post a Comment