8.4.08

Golf, Golf, Poker

Golf has now taken over poker as a priority. It seems that I have more success at golf these days (although as I begin this post I just crashed out of the MATH with a 6 place cash - my first of the year). Mentally, I am a bit spent when you combine the amount of focus that is required to play either golf or poker really, really, well. It's such a grind.

And I love it.

When I am in the moment, it's a blast. Trying to drain an eagle putt on the 17th hole to go 3 under was certainly the highlight of the weekend. It led to my best round of the year - 68 (4 undie). I had another eagle putt on 18 to shoot 67, but left it a tad short as it double broke down the hill from about 30 feet. I tapped in for birdie and it hit me. I love that feeling.

I wish I had that feeling at the final table tonight. It's funny (not really) how one or two mistakes can really crush your chances of winning. Very similar to golf, once again, in that way.

I was pretty nervous over my tee shot on 17. It's a 281 yard par four with water along the front right of the green (I've mentioned this hole in previous posts I believe). You basically have three choices. Either puss out and lay up with a 5 iron (also known as the smart play for the bunts), take a 3 wood or driver down the left side towards the bunkers, or pull out the driver and give it a go. If you can carry the water then the reward is big (you will be putting for a 2 on a par 4). Which is nice.

I was hitting it well, and gave it a rip. the ball never left the flag and carried over the water. Rolling at the pin, Penski yelled "go in!"

I am not sure how far right of the stick it was, but it ended up 5 feet behind the pin.

Throw in the fact that this was a tournament (the monthly medal) and it made for an excellent day. Results are still pending so I am not sure if I did any damage. It was a net tournament (use your handicap) so it is usually pretty tough to win this thing when you don't get strokes (ok 1).

Anyway, sometimes it pays to just give it a shot.

The Math actually paid off. My last post I stated that there were no exceptions about getting a token... well I didn't even try. I just didn't really find time, or even give it a thought.

So I bought in, and it paid off. I gave it a shot, and I'll keep grinding.

TOC woulda been nice, I'm not gonna lie.


----
NHL playoffs are just a day or two away, I'll be back soon to make my 1st Round and Stanley Cup predictions. Will the Ducks defend? Will an Eastern team win this year? Are the Red Wings going to take it? Crosby's turn?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

WTG Schaubs.

Both in Golf and Poker.

Keep up the hard living.

It'll pay off!

smokkee said...

DUCKS !

Julius_Goat said...

The Ducks are an unholy fake team that were spawned in Disney science vats using Emilio Estevez's stool samples and Mickey Mouse's sperm.

The Wings may or may not win the Cup, but they are guaranteed to make me want to vomit at least six times.

Julius_Goat said...

Oh, and WTG in the MATH!

BamBam said...

Nice round Schwabbles!

7 days my man.... I only have 7 days until it opens!!!

PokahDave said...

gg in MATH....I had a King and pushed. I had a few suckouts to win...but that's what you have to do. I wish I was good at golf...my brother-in-law laughs at me everytime we go out on the course. I'm a lefty too...looks pretty weird when I drive a ball right into the turf!